Monday, February 4, 2013

Jacob 1:19 Be found spotless at the last day

For my own ability to mentor, I feel I need to be knowledgeable in the scriptures myself, so I can teach and mentor my children as they learn the scriptures and gospel too. So one of my books to write essays on, will be the Book of Mormon. I am starting over again in Jacob, because I feel like I always start at the beginning in Nephi, and I haven't read the rest of the book enough. 
I really liked this verse in Jacob chapter one. 
It popped out at me for some reason. This last year I have really felt the responsibility in keeping my children innocent. This doesn't mean sheltering them necessarily, but they are not accountable for their choices until age 8. I believe age 8 is when they become accountable, because before then, they just really don't understand completely between right and wrong. 
Their environment, and the examples they see everyday from those who are accountable, are how they learn what choices should be made. It is our responsibility as their parents to "labor with all our might" at being a good example of all things, and teaching our children and others the gospel, that they might choose spiritual happiness and joy over the temporary temptations. 

I will strive to "magnify my office" by studying the scriptures, using prayer in all things, going about my callings with a happy heart, loving others unconditionally, and serving others. 
I will "teach them the word of god diligently" by having morning and night devotional, and using parables in all their life experiences. 
If we do not do this, when they sin after the age of accountability, they will choose their weakness over their strengths because they were not taught, and it will not be their faults because they do not know any better.

Jacob 1:19
"And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments' otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day."

No comments:

Post a Comment